A macular degeneration treatment breakthrough is making headway using a wireless retinal implant.
Pixium, a Paris based company has developed a system that may enhance vision by stimulating degenerated photoreceptor cells in patients with advanced dry macular degeneration. The system called Photovoltaic Retinal Implant (PRIMA) consists of 4 components.
1. A pair of glasses that include a miniature camera and a data transmitter
2. A miniature wireless subretinal chip
3. A pocket size digital signal processor that transforms light into electric signals
4. Software that can be individualized for each patient
This clinical trial is a feasibility study being conducted in 17 sites in Europe and 3 in the United States. The study in France has recruited and implanted the device in 5 patients. The first implant in France was performed January 25, 2018.
Clinical trial eligibility requirements include (but not limited to)....
On August 30, 2018 Pixium Vision Chief Executive officer Khalid Ishaque, stated: "The successful consecutive activations of PRIMA in all five implanted study patients, combined with the preliminary clinical results and progress with the first implanted patients, are very encouraging for the clinical development of PRIMA."
Pixium Vision's press release of January 8, 2019 reports their interim 6 month study data of patients with advanced dry AMD:
"1. Implant is well tolerated while preserving residual peripheral vision acuity
2. All subjects report light perception in their central visual field
3. Majority of patients identifying complex patterns, letters or letter sequences
4. Interim positive data enables to prepare the European multi Centre pivotal study"
Here is a short video on how the Photovoltaic Retinal Implant system works:
You can go to www.ClinicalTrials.gov website to learn more about the study here:
Restoration of Central Vision With the PRIMA System in Patients With Atrophic AMD (PRIMAvera) Europe
PRIMA US-Feasibility Study in Atrophic Dry AMD
Go from Macular Degeneration Treatment Breakthrough to Macular Degeneration Research
Go from Macular Degeneration Treatment Breakthrough to WebRN Macular Degneration Home
√ Prevention of Macular Degeneration?
√ Tips for Daily Living?
√ Food Suggestions for a Macular Degeneration Diet?
√ Ideas on Visual Aids to Maximize your Sight?
If you said "yes" to any of the above, sign up for the monthly Macular Degeneration News.