Back to Back Issues Page
Newly Diagnosed with Macular Degeneration?
September 23, 2016

Newly Diagnosed with Macular Degeneration?

Two recent conversations reminded me that many people are not sure about what to do when they've been given a diagnosis of macular degeneration. One of those conversations involved a good friend of mine who was just told by her optometrist during a yearly eye exam that she had early age-related macular degeneration (AMD).

My friend didn't know what that meant, didn't know what questions to ask and wondered what should be her next step. The optometrist didn't recommend that she see a retina doctor, a specially trained ophthalmologist in retinal diseases.

Should I See a Retina Specialist?

If you've been diagnosed with macular degeneration - early, intermediate or late, see a retina doctor. They have more education, training and experience in diagnosing and treating patients with retinal diseases. They also have more sophisticated equipment to test and diagnose diseases of the retina.

What Questions to Ask Your Eye Doctor

Another conversation involved someone whose mother was just diagnosed with AMD and had an appointment with a retina specialist. The mother and adult daughter knew very little about AMD and didn't even know what questions they should ask the doctor.

You or someone you care about may be in the same situation.

Get a list of questions to ask your eye doctor and check out two searchable databases to find a retina specialist in your state or country:

How to Find A Retina Doctor and Questions to Ask 

Leslie Degner, RN, BSN

Better Health for Better Vision

Back to Back Issues Page